The end of 2017 has thrilled us with different hit concerts from Simi to Olamide, Nonso Amadi to Wizkid and the recent one we just experienced, Davido’s #30BillionConcert. These concerts have given us back to back excitement with each of them coming with their own highlight and shutting down the shows.
From all we have seen, Davido’s concert seeems to have topped the list as concerts for the year, giving us things to talk about until the end of the year and even after. These are 5 reasons Davido’s concert is topping the list this year, making his concert the concert of the year.
1. Giving maximum time to upcoming artistes: Trust is, this didn’t sit well with me initially. I felt the artistes should’ve been mixed, but come to think of it, we should do things to people that we want others to do for us, which is what I concluded Davido did. Davido gave a spotlight to young artistes in the industry which is a considerable gesture because he took advantage of the attention of the crowd to get them to listen to these artistes. Not all artistes want to share their spotlight on their big day but Davido showed that sharing his spotlight with young talents doesn’t make him less of the great artiste he already is. This shows his level of maturity which is good for the industry.
2. Calling Past Artistes to Perform: I would like to term this organization, but let’s move on and accept the tag i give it. The fact that Davido paid respect and extended his invitation to the likes of Terry G and Daddy Showkey is really remarkable and this is Davido’s way to really reach out to the core of the street. It was a show to prove to all that he can connect to every generation as far as hip-hop is concerned thereby connecting the old to the young. It was also a way to give spotlight to these old artistes that we haven’t heard from in a while or artistes we don’t talk about that much. This was indeed a thoughtful gesture to the artistes, one worthy of commendation. Some of the artistes that performed are; Teni, Ellyman, Dapo Tuburna, Fefe, Prettyboi D-O, DNA Ryan, Attitude, Nonso Amadi, Sexy Steel, Wale Turner, Terry Apala, Iceberg Slim, TJan, Skuki, B-Red, Sina Rambo, Soldistar, Dice Ailes, Idowest, and many more you’d think its 30 Billion Talent Show, but we survived.
3. Artistes He has Collaborated With: Davido brought on stage artistes he collaborated with at the beginning of his career and some of the recent ones he has worked with and it was a beautiful sight to see him flow with all these artistes as they perform their various songs together, from Olamide to Humble Smith and Nasty C, Davido pulled it off with all of them.
4. Overflowing Hall: This has been the case with artistes this year with halls to their events filled up but this is a different case with Davido. Eko Convention centre in Eko Hotel which happens to be the biggest event centre in Lagos was filled to the brink, or better put, it was filled to an overflow that people had nowhere else to see and different sections, from VIPS to VVIPs were standing just to enjoy the show. Even Davido posted on Instagram that he would’ve gotten a bigger hall had he known the level of the crowd that would be coming out to support him. Well, one wouldn’t blame him, “I just got backs” populated the whole place and added to the population that attended.
5. Reunited Mo’Hits on The #30BillionConcert Stage: I know this should’ve been the first but what happened to “saving the best for the last”? That’s what happened here. I saved the best highlight that is still bursting people’s brain for the last. Seeing Mo’Hits on stage blinded everyone to the flaws of the #30BillionConcert(and there were a lot of flaws). The defunct group had split in 2012 due to internal disagreement and nobody in the industry have been successful in bringing them together, although it’s not like there has been someone who has really tried as Davido did, using two months to bring back an old group. The crowd seeing D’banj, Dr. Sid, Wande Coal, K-Switch, D’Prince and Don baba Jay performing like they used to was a great sight to behold. This only shows that Davido, as he has been saying, wants nothing more than peace in the industry and in his words, great things can only happen when they all work together.
Wizkid’s performance with Davido was a good highlight but we expected it because as the saying goes, one good turn deserves another and we already predicted the performance as one of the results of their settlement. Click here to know what more to expect from the Wizkid-Davido settlement
This doesn’t mean Davido’s #30BillionConcert is flawless, far from true and it doesn’t mean you can’t have your own number one, you can, so let’s hear it guys!
Watch Mo’Hits performance below;